Monday, April 25, 2011

Sleeping?

I cleaned Quinn's room today. I need to get into Riley's and do the same thing, but Quinn's room was such a mess and it took me all day. I don't know if I have the energy to tackle another room tomorrow even though Riley's room is a lot cleaner.

The boys were playing with the Star Wars figures this evening, in Quinn's clean room.

We are conducting an experiment tonight. When Kevin and I went to the Autism symposium a couple of weeks back, there was a doctor who discussed sleep issues in kids with Autism. Kevin and I have had concerns about how well Riley really sleeps at night. It takes him a LONG time to fall asleep, and I am not sure he sleeps peacefully once he is asleep. I know he can sometimes freak out if he awakens in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. His room backs up to our family room, and we can hear him tossing and turning and thumping against the wall at night. In fact last night he was awake at 1 am, when I finally went to bed. We would really like the boys to swap rooms, because Quinn can sleep through anything, and is asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. Riley tosses and turns and is awake a long time before finally going to sleep-we think the TV bothers him, even if the volume is down. He is resistant to switch rooms though. He likes his space and is concerned about the amount of light Quinn's room gets in the mornings. So we decided to experiment. We'll have Riley sleep in Quinn's bed and Quinn sleep in Riley's bed and see how it goes. If it goes well, we will swap their rooms-a huge job, but will be worth it in the end if Riley can get a decent night's sleep. He does so much better during the day when he's not tired.

1 comment:

  1. How about trying a spa clock..we have one in the RV Riley can try...I go to sleep with the sound of rain every night..your choices are: rain. thunder. ocean waves, and a summer night (sounds that friendly night insects make :) ) It is just enough white noise to put me to sleep and keep me asleep..I cannot sleep without it..

    ReplyDelete